Thursday 27 June 2013

I Love The Uniqueness In African Fabrics


I think the most creative fabric work I have come across recently is from Africa not just because of the African patterns on the fabrics but also because of the color blending involved."Kikoi" and 'kitenge' fabrics are among the most popular and the most beautiful. It is easy to come up with amazing designs from these fabrics if you just put you imagination at work.
Am glad that African clothes are slowly gaining access to other parts of the world but I still hope that we will not ruin the fabrics with not so good designing.
I love picking out my favorites; Here is what I got for you:

Solange Knowles got it right with African attire:
Solange Knowles
I admire the color scheme and the personality in that attire.Solange Knowles gave it the right shot.

Bright, simple and cute

(courtesy of Kidosho designs kenya)
 Plain red on the top and a floral bottom is really cute.
Spotted at a kitenge fashion festival in Nairobi Kenya.
at a kitenge festival
I don't know who designed this, but I love everything about it- It's the kind that you wear to occasions and parties and you stand out.
If you are a fan of Kikoi...
embellished kikoi
Kikoi's demand for creativity in order to get a great finish. They look better when embellished with jewels or shells. There is some pride that kikois carry with them.
Something about 'kangas'.....



Kangas can be turned into almost anything- skirt, dress, shorts, top or trousers. They are among the cheapest and easiest african fabrics to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment